CARLI Digital Collections
Century of Progress World's Fair, 1933-1934 (University of Illinois at Chicago)
Search results for
Refine your search
Kaufmann & Fabry co.
ge Publicity Departmen...
page 1 of 1 : (
add to favorites
[Century of Progress Rufus C. Dawes (left), and RCA executive Owen D. Young standing in front of a painting of the Hall of Science exhibition.]
[Exterior view of the left stairway in front of the main courtyard of the Electrical Group building before the grand opening of the Chicago World's Fair. The relief "Stellar Energy" by sculptor Ulric Henry Ellerhusen adorns the facade of the building on the left.]
[Fireworks display at night. The outline of the Century of Progress Skyride tower and cableway can be seen to the right of the fireworks. The Federal Building complex at Northerly Island is also seen here at the lower left of the photograph.]
[Ground level view of the Hall of Science. The souvenir shop and park benches are just to the left of the main entrance.]
[Oblique view of the eastern facade of the Hall of Science with the Carillon Tower to the left.]
[Southeast view of the front courtyard of the Electrical Group building before the grand opening of the Chicago World's Fair, 1932. Both "Stellar Energy" (left) and "Atomic Energy" (right) by sculptor Ulric Henry Ellerhusen can be seen flanking the building's main entrance in the center.]
[The eastern facade of the Hall of Science, with the bottom portion of the Carillon Tower visible to the left of the stairway.]
"8 of the 14 huge pillars covered with murals depicting the story of the electrical industry. These pillars are located above the General Electric 'House of Magic' (at lower left), and extend along the entire length of the balcony over the exhibit. At a Century of Progress Exhibition, Chicago, Ill."
"A view of the Lagoon theater, grandstand and the John R. Thompson twin restaurants as seen from the Hiram Walker 'Doodlebug' in the north lagoon at A Century of Progress. The theater has been roofed and a permanent stage built on spiles has replaced the roofless stands and floating stage of 1933. The changes were made because of the extreme popularity of the theater last year. At the left may be seen the completed unit of the Thompson restaurants, which began serving food today."
"Miss Jayne C. Walker, pretty Lexington, Ky., World's Fair visitor, was the first to sign the guest register of the Wilson and company exhibit when the exhibit was dedicated Sunday (June 17) afternoon. Left to right: Thomas E. Wilson, chairman of the board of directors of Wilson and company; Miss Walker and Miss Jane Iredale, exhibit employee."
"Thomas E. Wilson (left), chairman of the board of directors of Wilson and company, shown presenting the Wilson exhibit building to the World's Fair administration, represented by Albert N. Gonsior. One of the features of the exhibit is a bacon slicing and packing plant in operation."
"Within the great court of the Hall of Science, where the wonders of scientific progress are revealed at A Century of Progress, Chicago's 1933 World's Fair. At the extreme left is shown the rostrum from which speakers address multitudes gathered for gala occasions. In the background appear the tops of the twelve pylons which, arranged in a semi-circle, from the north facade of this structure."
add to favorites
page 1 of 1 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
for member libraries
tell us what you think
to top ^