Western Illinois University Digital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Macomb Brenner Furniture c. 1954
Macomb Brenner Furniture c. 1954
TitleMacomb Brenner Furniture c. 1954
Photo Number000649.JPG
CollectionDigital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
Date Photograph TakenNovember 10, 1954 (date of advertisement)
KeywordsMacomb Square West Side Square Brenner Furniture Thrasher Hardware Businesses Buildings
Subject HeadingMacomb--Square (West Side)
DescriptionThe first Brenner Furniture store was located at 2-4 West Side Square, just north of the first city building. The 2-4 West Side Square had been built for in 1927 by J.W. Thrasher for Thrasher Hardware. "Thrasher Store Sold to Nebraska Man, " "Sale of the Thrasher Hardware and Furniture store to Paul J. Brenner, who has been in the furniture business in Beatrice, Neb., was announced today by Mrs. Betty Johnson, who has owned and operated the business. The store will be known in the future as the Brenner Furniture company and will carry furniture, bedding, floor coverings, and appliances. Curtains and draperies will probably be added later. The hardware line will be discontinued and the first floor which it now occupies devoted to the other lines. The new owner has been engaged for the past four years in the operation of a furniture store in Beatrice while the owner was in the armed forces. Prior to that he had five years of furniture experience in Omaha. While an independently owned store, the Macomb store will be associated with other stores in Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois, Brenner said. ‘We will specialize in nationally advertised lines and carry a complete stock. The association makes available to us any and all merchandise in the lines we will present, ' he added. The Thrasher store was founded in 1914 by J.W. Thrasher, father of Mrs. Johnson. In 1928 he constructed the new building which the store now occupies, moving from quarters on the south side of the public square. The furniture line was added when the new building was occupied and Mrs. Johnson took charge of it. She continued to operate the business after the death of her father. Mrs. Brenner and the three small Brenner daughters are now in Beatrice, but will move to Macomb as soon as living quarters can be found." "Macomb Journal, " October 16, 1947, p. 2. In the 1960s the store moved to new quarters on West Jackson Street, across from the south end of Wigwam Hollow Road. In May of 2007, the store went out of business.
Source/Publisher/DonorAC 03-071 Loaned for reproduction by Chuck Brenner.
Location of Original PhotoMacomb Square Album--West Side
RightsWIU Libraries Archives & Special Collections -- All Rights Reserved. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, contact the WIU Archives and Special Collections at malpass-archives@wiu.edu.
Timestamp20050511145428
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next