Western Illinois University Digital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Macomb Marble and Granite Works 210-212 North Lafayette Street
Macomb Marble and Granite Works 210-212 North Lafayette Street
TitleMacomb Marble and Granite Works 210-212 North Lafayette Street
Photo Number000393.JPG
CollectionDigital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
KeywordsMacomb Businesses Macomb Monument Company Carl Dunbar Otto Dunbar Macomb Marble and Granite Works Business Buildings Twyman
Subject HeadingMacomb--Businesses (Macomb Marble and Granite Works)
DescriptionThe photograph shows the Macomb Marble and Granite works, later called the Macomb Monument Company and operated first by Otto Carl Dunbar and then Otto and son Howard, Howard and Carl, and finally only by Carl. The photo from the "Greater Macomb" publication shows the business in the north end of the Twyman/Martin building, at 210 Lafayette Street. The monument yard extends north of the Twyman/Martin building and in front of a structure partly at the rear of the Twyman/Martin building and partly extending beyond it to the north. The 1924 Sanborn map shows that structure as used for stonecutting. As the following Macomb Journal article shows, a building was constructed in 1938 on the lot north of the Twyman/Martin building, which is probably the one still standing in 2010 at 212 North Lafayette Street. See image 002909.JPG "The new building of the Macomb Monument Company on the lot just north of the Martin building on the west side of Chandler Park is nearing completion. The building is constructed of hollow tile and brick with a concrete floor. It is one-story, with no basement and is about 70 feet long and 30 feet wide. A large steel girder was built from the outside of the building at the rear into the middle of the building so that it can be used to carry heavy monuments into and from the building. The rear part of the building will be used for sand blasting and new equipment will be installed there. The front part of the building will be used as the office and display room. The interior is of wood panel in natural colors. The front of the building is set back about fifty feet from the street and the space there will be covered with white gravel and used for display. Dwight Reed is the contractor for the building." "Macomb Journal, " September 24, 1938, p. 2. Land deed records show that on August 21, 1919, Otto Dunbar purchased from Laura Fellheimer the property at 212 North Lafayette Street for $2, 000. Hence, it appears that it was a member of the Dunbar family that constructed the building described in the 1938 newspaper article above.
Source/Publisher/DonorGreater Macomb F 549 .M3 M32
Aux. Photo# NegativeNeg 1377-7
Location of Original PhotoMacomb Businesses off the Square Northwest and Northeast Quadrants Album.
RightsWIU Libraries Archives & Special Collections -- All Rights Reserved. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, contact the WIU Archives and Special Collections at malpass-archives@wiu.edu.
Timestamp20031212103341
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next