Western Illinois University Digital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Aledo Mercer Building c. 1910
Aledo Mercer Building c. 1910
TitleAledo Mercer Building c. 1910
Photo Number003211.JPG
CollectionDigital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
KeywordsAledo Building Buildings Business Businesses College Seventh 7th Button House Barton J.E. Harroun G.A. Luvin Schuyler Transit House Livermore Hotel
Subject HeadingAledo--Buildings (Mercer Building)
DescriptionThe Button House, located at the intersection of College and Seventh streets. Today East Seventh Street would be East Main Street. The Mercer Building which stands today on the corner of College and Seventh streets is probably one of the oldest buildings still in use in Aledo. History conflicts somewhat with its account of the buildings occupying the site, saying on one Barton House first occupied the spot while earlier records indicate that the Barton House was erected on the north side of Seventh Street near Maple. The Barton House, which was the first hotel, was erectd by Willits and Thompson, the town's proprietors, the carpenters while building it boarded with a farmer living near the town site. Though it seems a bit unusual that a hotel should be the first building to be put up in the town perhaps the proprietors felt that in order for the town to grow there must he a place to house its builders. J.E. Harroun was the first landlord of the hotel, but for some reason it got its name from the second landlord, a man named Barton who came to Aledo from Moline. In the latter part of the 1860s the hotel was closed for about two years and at the end of that time was opened by Amos Willits. It was afterward sold to G.A. Luvin who leased it to several persons, then sold it to Schuyler Button. A fire completely destroyed the building in November of 1867, but within a few days a new structure was begun on the same site and was this time known as the Button House. Ten years later the tornado which hit Aledo shook the windows from the hotel, but little damage was done to the rest of it. Button kept the hotel for some time, then leased it, and finally sold the building. Sometime before 1896, the hotel was purchased by a man named Livermore who had leased the Transit House here in 1893, and it became the Livermore Hotel, newly papered, painted, and with electric lights throughout. Along in the early 1900s, the Livermore went out of business and the building was taken over by the post office and several stores on the ground floor, and a hall on the third. It was about this time that it became known as the Mercer Building, and it served as the post office until the new post office was erected. The above item about the Button House came from a pamphlet published by the Aledo newspaper the Times Record.
Source/Publisher/DonorCourtesy of Mercer County Historical Society
Aux. Photo# Other003211.TIF
Location of Original PhotoPhoto File--Aledo Folder--Aledo--Buildings
RightsWIU Libraries Archives & Special Collections -- All Rights Reserved. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, contact the WIU Archives and Special Collections at malpass-archives@wiu.edu.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next