Western Illinois University Digital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
College Street in Aledo c. 1910s
College Street in Aledo c. 1910s
TitleCollege Street in Aledo c. 1910s
Photo Number002850.JPG
CollectionDigital Image Collection (Western Illinois University)
KeywordsAledo Street Streets Building Buildings Business Businesses College Seventh 7th Button House Barton J.E. Harroun G.A. Luvin Schuyler Transit House Livermore Hotel Aledo High School Mercer Building Maple City Candy Company
Subject HeadingAledo--Streets (College Street)
DescriptionNo print 2006. Photo taken from the top of the courthouse looking north on College Street. The four-story building in the background with the mansard roof is the Button House, located at the intersection of College and Seventh streets. Today East Seventh Street would be East Main Street. From a p.c. The Mercer Building which stands today on the corner of College and Seventh streets is probably one of the oldest buildings still in use in Aledo. History conflicts somewhat with its account of the buildings occupying the site, saying on one Barton House first occupied the spot while earlier records indicate that the Barton House was erected on the north side of Seventh Street near Maple. The Barton House, which was the first hotel, was erectd by Willits and Thompson, the town's proprietors, the carpenters while building it boarded with a farmer living near the town site. Though it seems a bit unusual that a hotel should be the first building to be put up in the town perhaps the proprietors felt that in order for the town to grow there must he a place to house its builders. J.E. Harroun was the first landlord of the hotel, but for some reason it got its name from the second landlord, a man named Barton who came to Aledo from Moline. In the latter part of the 1860s the hotel was closed for about two years and at the end of that time was opened by Amos Willits. It was afterward sold to G.A. Luvin who leased it to several persons, then sold it to Schuyler Button. A fire completely destroyed the building in November of 1867, but within a few days a new structure was begun on the same site and was this time known as the Button House. Ten years later the tornado which hit Aledo shook the windows from the hotel, but little damage was done to the rest of it. Button kept the hotel for some time, then leased it, and finaly sold the building. Sometime before 1896, the hotel was purchased by a man named Livermore who had leased the Transit House here in 1893, and it became the Livermore Hotel, newly papered, painted, and with electric lights throughout. Along in the early 1900s, the Livermore went out of business and the building was taken over by the post office and several stores on the ground floor, and a hall on the third. It was about this time that it became known as the Mercer Building, and it served as the post office until the new post office was erected. The above item about the Button House came from a pamplet published by the Aledo newspaper the Times Record. The building to the far side or north side of the Button House was the former Aledo High School. Today (2005) the Button Building or Mercer Building is the site of the Maple City Candy Company.
Source/Publisher/DonorCourtesy of Mercer County Historical Society
Aux. Photo# Other002850.TIF
Location of Original PhotoPhoto File--Aledo Folder--Aledo--Streets
RightsWIU Libraries Archives & Special Collections -- All Rights Reserved. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, contact the WIU Archives and Special Collections at malpass-archives@wiu.edu.
Timestamp20060206080612
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next