University of Illinois at Chicago C. William Brubaker Collection (University of Illinois at Chicago)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
East Ontario Street at Rush Street
East Ontario Street at Rush Street
TitleEast Ontario Street at Rush Street
CreatorHuehl and Schmid
Meles, Edmund J.
DescriptionView looking west along East Ontario Street. On the right of the image is Lawry's restaurant, which stands at the corner of East Ontario and North Rush Streets. The restaurant is housed in the building that was once the home of L. Hamilton McCormick, but has undergone extensive changes, including the limestone facade wrapping the first floor of the house. The Hanley Dawson Cadillac dealership (now demolished) is behind Lawry's, on the block between North Rush Street and North Wabash Avenue. The Croydon Hotel (now The James Hotel) at the southwest corner of East Ontario and North Rush Streets is on the left side of the image. Part of the Medinah Temple with its distinctive onion dome is visible behind the Croydon. The two buildings in the left foreground are no longer standing. Brubaker's caption on the original slide mount reads "treeless."
NotesPhotograph credit: Brubaker, C. William, 1976
Date1895 (L. Hamilton McCormick mansion); 1912 (Medinah Temple); 1926 (Croydon Hotel)
Geographic coverageNear North Side (Chicago, Ill.)
River North (Chicago, Ill.)
Community Area Number8
Subjectstreetscapes
restaurants
hotels (public accommodations)
automobile showrooms
signage
LanguageEnglish
TypeImage
Formarchitecture
View Descriptiongeneral view
Physical Description35 mm. slide
CollectionC. William Brubaker Collection (University of Illinois at Chicago)
RepositoryUniversity of Illinois at Chicago. Library. [Visual Resources].
CitationCite as [creator]. [title]. [file name]. [collection].
RightsThe University of Illinois at Chicago College of Architecture and the Arts holds reproduction and licensing rights. For more information, please email: lib-permissions@uic.edu.
DownloadsDownloads of larger files for this image are available from the C. William Brubaker set in the UIC Library Flickr collections at http://www.flickr.com/photos/uicdigital/sets/72157625021131144/.
File Namebru007_12_mF
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next