Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Old Stone House
Old Stone House
TitleOld Stone House
CreatorWilliams, Adele Fay
Date of the DrawingApril 18, 1926
DescriptionDrawing of an old stone house near Wilmington and was built in 1850's. The old stone house was also owned by the Martin family. This drawing is a part of the Robert E. Sterling Collection.
Title of ArticleRambling old stone house built in '50s : artist speculates on ancient inhabitants of quaint building.
Transcript of the ArticleFrom the Joliet Herald-News Sunday April 18, 1926- "It must have been a quaint, lonely little house by the side of the road in those dim pioneer days that are daily getting dimmer in the memories of the present generation. It was in 1835 that Ambrose Doty pioneer, bought 160 acres of fair bluff land from the ogvernment. The land lay in lot 11, A. Doty subdivision, in the sourht half of the south half of the section 4, 3510, the subdivision being made in 1854, according to the strange formal wording of the abstract. But it is not known whether the pretty stone cottage on Ruby street was built Doty arounf 1840or whether it was put up by the next purchaser of the lot in 1854, who was Franz Antone Keffer, who held the property until 1890, when he sold it to Franz Hirschler, who in turn sold it to James E. Martin, father of Robert W. Martin and J. Walter Martin, present owners of the property. Ancient in 1892. The house was ancient even in 1892, since which time it has remained in the possession of the Martins. The little house looks like a place where humanity has lived and loved and has its being there. Where it has labored and cooked and thrived in true pioneer fashion while the sweet winds blew off from the prairies and children played under the trees. Even then the red Indian may have passed the door of this ancient little dwelling. But it appears to have arrived at years of discretion for its old stones tell not a word of its history. Still it seems to belong to the period of the 50's when so many similar stone houses wer erected. The fine large tree just west of the stone cottage is said to be one of northern European willows that growvery tall and grow rapidly. Once on the faint wagon road of the pioneers, the house and the tree now stand close to the edge of Ruby street, just west of St. John's cemetery. You can see a few of the white tablets and headstones faintly indicated at the right of the picture.The picturesque barns and sheds farther back in the lot seem even more ancient and decrepit than the well preserved little house. But as every houe has a character and an expression of its own, so this dwelling has grown into an appearance of amiable sedateness and dignity. It has seen too much to be frivolous. It has a meditative, contemplative look, seen against its background of trees in the shimmering distance. An Early Settler.The house was already old when it came into the possession of the Martin family. James Martin was himself one of the earliest settlers of Will county, coming in 1836 to cast his lot with pioneers who reclaimed the wild district for the present era of civilization. He entered a claim for 200 acres in 1836. He also purchased 40 acres of timberland, which later was developed and cultivated by the elder Martin, becoming the property of his son James W. Martin. James Martin, the eldest, died in the west, where he had gone, attracted by the discovery of gold. James W. Martin lived at Florence in the old homestead, coming to Joliet in 1887. Robert W. Martin and James Walter Martin pursued full courses in the state university and in Illinois University Law school. They have been prominent in official circles. Robert is former state's attorney.
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Physical Description28 cm. x 21.5 cm.
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier2011-8-ste-afwa-0042
SourceClick this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next