Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Nobes Place 1927
Nobes Place 1927
TitleNobes Place 1927
CreatorAdele Fay Williams
Date of the DrawingFebruary 6, 1927
DescriptionThis drawing by Adele Fay Williams is of the Nobes Place near Joliet, Illinois. Isaac Nobes built this house on Lockport Street near Joliet in 1874. This house was one of the most expensive buildings built in the Joliet area.

Nobes helped build the first canal boat the "General Fry". Later Nobes took up with quarrying and opened a stone quarry called Oak View. Nobes Place overlooked the quarry and is now gone. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleNobes mansion real monarch of landscape : old home on Lockport road once finest in entire region.
Date of ArticleFebruary 6, 1927
Transcript of the ArticleFrom the Joliet Herald-News Sunday February 6, 1927 -- "Truly a monarch of the landscape is the old house of the Nobes, on a hill by the side of he road between Joliet and Lockport. Long has it stood in solitary eminence, the only house of its state and dignity for many miles. At one time it was called the finest residence in the entire region. It was built by Isaac Nobes in 1874, of beautiful stone in large blocks. In some places between the windows rectangular flag stones are used. The interior was laid out on the English plan with kitchen and dining room and all the household offices in the alry basement. Came Here in 1847. Originally the house stood in the midst of a 20-acre tract. Mr. Nobes was later the owner of 86-acres in this tract, including extensive quaries, called 'Oak Hill quarries'. He came to Joliet in 1847 where he engaged in hauling sand for the new courthouse. However, he had a life of adventure before coming to Joliet, young as he was. Born on the Isle of Wright, February 28, 1822, he was apprenticed to the sea at the tender age of 13 years, serving four years. Next he went as an able seaman on the clipper 'Susan'. Later the young adventurer engaged in the fruit of trade in the Levant, that home of romance. Served on Battleship. He remained at sea nine years including three years he spent on board 'The Ganges', an 84-gun ship of the British navy. His longing for adventure was fed by his experiences at the destruction of the forts along the coast of Syria in 1841. The last fort destroyed was that of San Juan Diego and it was estimated that the Egyptian forces lost 15, 000 men in two hours and one half. The admiral of the British forces was Sir Charles Napier. Young Nobes, still in search of new adventure at 21 years, came to Quebec, in 1843, on board a timber vessel and presumably found what he sought. He spent a summer on the Lakes Erie and Ontario, sailing out from Gordon Island in the employ of Cook and Calvin in the lumber trade. In 1845 he came to Buffalo, and took to the lakes as a sailor bold, so fond of the water he was. Returned to Lakes. In 1846, he sailed from Buffalo to Chicago, thus by easy and hazardous journeys by land and sea he arrived in Joliet Jan. 7, 1847. And tho he hauled sand for a while he returned to the lakes to sail again. On the trip to Chicago from Joliet, so the story goes, Sailor Nobes walked a good part of the way, carrying a rail to help the coach out of dismal miry places. He paid two dollars for his fare and was on the road from 8 a. m. to 4 p.m. the following day. Merely to go a distance of 38 miles. But he returned again to Joliet the next year. But the new canal engaged his attention. He caulked and built canal boats for one year in Lockport after he bought ten acres for quarries. In 1851, at 29 years, he enlarged his holdings. Trouble with his partners, G. A. Cousens and son, caused him to return to the boat yards once morE. But in 1868 he regained possession of the quarried. Such was the saga of his eventful life. Was Married Twice. In addition he was married twice, his first wife being Miss Ann J. Haughey, a native of Ireland, married in 1846. They had seven children, Joseph, Charles J., Sarah, Ann L., Wiliam I. R., Elizabeth J. and Elizabeth T., who died early. Mr. Nobes, a man of substance, was maried for the seconf time to Miss Faney Varley, who with her sister, lived at 505 Richards street, in a cottage since remodeled and owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Matteson. The two sisters had one of the early milliner shops of Joliet. On of the sons of Isaac Nobes was married to Miss Nellie Richardson, a daughter of Mr. adn Mrs. Benjamin Richardson. Another was said to have married Miss Tillie Fisher. Mrs Elizabeth Nobes Banks, youngest daughter of Isaac Nobes, wife of Henry B. Banks, lived at 320 Union street. Sarah, an elder sister, th only other surviving child, lives in Nebraska. Died in 1894. The original owner of the tract acquired by Mr. Nobes, was Charles Matin, who bought it from the government in 1835, according to John Morrison of the People's Abstract company. When he died in 1848, his property thence [assed thru several hands of brief tenure, until Charles E. Boyer, a former Lockport capitalist, acquired it in 1856, but not for long. The very same year Mr. Boyer sold it to Alonzo Leach, who at the same time traded it around until in 1859 by some misadventure of pioneer time it was lost by foreclosure to Nelson D. Elwood. Mr. Elwood sold it to Joseph Conkling. Mr. Conkling died and the hiers partitioned the property in 1874, when Mr. Nobes bought it and held it until Joseph Cambell bought most of the tract and subdivided it, calling it Fairmont. John E. Berst, was the most recent owner, acquiring the "
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier1989-0-bar-afw-0046
SourceClick on this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next