Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
St. John's Catholic Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
St. John's Catholic Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
TitleSt. John's Catholic Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
CreatorAdele Fay Williams
DescriptionDrawing by Adele Fay Williams is of St. John's Catholic Church on Bluff Street in Joliet, Illinois. The church was still standing in 2008, since gone. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleStage coach days recalled by old hotel : Plainfield hostelry flourished when village was "Big Brother" of Joliet.
Date of ArticleDecember 9, 1928
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News Sunday December 9, 1928 "This early American spot, as depicted in an adjoining column, could not possibly be elsewhere than in Plainfield, which was and still is a typical early American village. The quaint, little frame building on Desplaines street, Plainfield, was once a busy spot where stage horses champed their bits, the stage driver cracked his whip, and drew the picturesque old stage to its very door, with a great flourish. Altho this little hotel looks small, it had much space in the rear where an enormous dining room stretched out almost to the "offices, " kitchen and barns, after the English fashion. Building Still Stands. The drawing was made from a very old print in the possession of M. V. Hartong, who is also the proud possessor of an interesting and valuable collection of antique American relics. The hotel, however, still stands, much as it did then, with the exception that an addition has been made to house the great number of guests that were expected to overwhelm pretty Plainfield, the mother of Chicago, so it was called, when it really began to grow. And altho it took a long time, Plainfield is now enjoying a pleasant normal and thoro growth. Two reasons given for this recrudescence of growth were hard roads, and resident retired farmers. Owned by A. K. Flagg According to the best calculations of Plainfield's older citizens, the hotel, as seen in the sketch was built in the very early 50's, or more probably a little earlier, say 1846 or '47. This would give it the advanced age of 80 or thereabouts, which is not too preposterous, considering the early date at which Plainfield was settled. The small paned windows, the general construction, fix the age at an early period. At present in its enlarged construction, the hotel is owned and occupied by A. K. Flagg, a member of that famous family, descended from the pioneer, Reuben Flagg. Son of Pioneer A. K. Flagg is the son of J. Kendall Flagg, eldest son of Reuben. There were five brothers, sons of Reuben, who grew up and married and raised fine Plainfield families to add to the luster and benefit of their home town. Mr. Flagg has lived here many years at two different periods. One end of the enlarged hotel as it now stands, once stood on the same street, a little farther south, and was first occupied by Lewis Dillman, who afterwards moved to Joliet with his family. A little later, G. N. Chittenden and Elihu Corbin occupied the same store for some time. Then Chittenden bought out his partner, and occupied it alone. Then waxing prosperous he built himself a fine store on Main street and still later Chittenden became a valued and prosperous merchant on Jefferson street, Joliet. Purchased in 1860 It was then that James Beggs, son of Stephen Beggs, another famous pioneer bought the old Chittenden store and moved it over to form part of the old Central Hotel of the sketch., having already bought the hotel. Beggs bought the original hotel, from Root Kent, as he was called, about 1860. Root Kent was living in the old Central hotel with his family, as early as 1857, and the building was not new then, according to the reminiscences of George B. Luce, head of a large furniture establishment, who in earlier times drove the Plainfield stage for at least 20 years. Carried Mail Daily The stage, in its early days transported mail from Chicago to Ottawa, stopping at Plainfield, to leave its own mail, and that of Joliet. It was at this period that a mail carrier from Joliet was forced to ride horseback to Plainfield, in order to care for the Joliet mail. So much for the pride of nations. It was said that the hotel was called the Beggs House, during the Beggs company. At that time the buildings of Plainfield were scattering, with wide beautiful spaces, between. The tall Lombardy poplar and the other trees, seen in the sketch, are now no more. Among other treasures of antiques owned by Miles Hartong is the first ballot he voted in Chicago, 1892. He has beautiful early American stone jars, old books, carved meerschaum pipes and hundreds of interesting American antiques."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier1989-0-bar-afw-0032
SourceClick on this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next