Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Guardian Angels Home (Joliet, Illinois) 1930
Guardian Angels Home (Joliet, Illinois) 1930
TitleGuardian Angels Home (Joliet, Illinois) 1930
CreatorAdele Fay Williams
DescriptionDrawing by Adele Fay Williams of the old Guardian Angel home on Buell Ave in Joliet. Building dedicated at time of the drawing. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleOrphanage to be dedicated this morning : elaborate ceremony is planned at new building on Plainfield road.
Date of ArticleMay 16, 1926
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News Sunday May 16, 1926 "The dedication by Cardinal Mundelein with solemn ceremonies of the splendid new building of the Guardian Angel Home on Plainfield road, will take place this morning at 11:30 o'clock. It symbolizes the growth of the new and passing of old traditions. It is just about one year since the ceremonies of "breaking ground" took place. The ritualistic ceremony of blessing the building is beautiful and dignified. It will take place at 11:30 o'clock before anyone has entered the structure, while visiting friends and guests are grouped around the main entrance. Mayor Sehring to Speak. Maurice Lennon, chairman of the program, is to preside and will introduce the speakers. Mayor George F. Sehring will make the address of welcome. Following selections by De LaSalle band and "Ecce Sacerdos" by the Arion glee club, the blessing of the new home will begin. Cardinal Mundelein, attended by his deacon and sub-deacon, will walk entirely around the structure, meanwhile the ceremony of blessing goes on. The group then enters the new home, continuing the ceremony. Cardinal Will Officiate. The program will follow the blessing as announced, the chief feature of which is an address by Cardinal Mundelein. Addresses will also be made by Senator R. J. Barr, Attorney Harvey Wood and Arthur Momper. At the close the spectators will be invited to make a tour of the new building. Visitors have been notified that a cafeteria service may be found at St. Francis academy. A varied history is that of the old building of the Guardian Angel Home at the beginning of Buell avenue. Almost hidden in the lovely greenery of tall trees, and shrubbery, the picturesque building commands the entire region as one of the notable beauty spots of the beautiful avenue. Cost Only $7, 600. It was in 1896 that the sisters of St. Francis bought the Fox estate for $7, 600. There were several acres of sloping ground and a mansion built by O. Fox, then considered one of the show places of Joliet. The mansion, with some remodeling and a few changes, became the home of more than 50 little orphans under the care of the sisters. Ever since 1870 however, homeless children had been cared for by the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate in their convent on Broadway and Division street, and later on Plainfield road, where the sisters moved to their new convent in May, 1882. It was there that the dependent children were given the same advantages that were offered the pupils of the academy, besides which they were trained in domestic duties. Cared for Children. Realizing the need of separate training for dependent children a small cottage on the convent grounds was made to do duty for the orphans, about 1897. A beginning with two little girls who recently lost their mother. One of the little girls became Sister M. Priscilla, while the other married and is now Mrs. Martin J. Kelley. Mother Lucia Raub cared for the children as their number increased, until her health failing, Sister M. Clementine Koch, was appointed superior in 1911, holding the position until 1914. The sisters built a two story addition to the Fox home soon after taking possession, installing steam heat and other improvements. It was on October 28, 1898 that the new home was dedicated by the Most Rev. Patrick A. Feehan, first archbishop of Chicago, before a large gathering. Addition Built in 1905. In 1905 the large wing was built at a cost of $27, 489. It housed the beautiful chapel, a study hall, dormitories and an infirmary. It was dedicated by the Most Rev. James Edward Quigley, second archbishop of Chicago. Since 1911, with the help of charitable people of Joliet, the home has been self-supporting, its only public appeal being on its annual Tag Day. Recalls Early History. The history of the site dates back to pioneer days, bring in the names of well known people. The large sub-division on and around the sub-division on and around the brow of the bluff was laid out by canal trustees in 1848. The tract was sold to Joseph Campbell in 1852. Mr. Campbell, who was one of the pioneers of 1839, died in 1858. It was then that Barbara Campbell, his widow, became owner of the property by a deed from her children. Mrs. Campbell sold the tract to Charlotte A. Strong, wife of William A. Strong, in 1875. The Strongs then re-subdivided it and under the name of ‘Glenwood.' Sold By Woodruff. In 1886, the property was sold to F. W. Woodruff, who sold it the same day, to Mrs. Anne Jane Fox, wife of O. Fox. The beautiful Fox house on the hill was built soon after. By one of the numerous contrasts of those early days, the property was sold at a foreclosure sale in 1898 to the present owners. Mr. Fox was a prosperous merchant and tailor, whose store was on Jefferson street, when it was the chief business street of the city, Mrs. Fox was known as a pleasant hostess, and was the mother of several pretty daughters who are married an live elsewhere. Of Joseph Campbell, one of the early pioneers, it is recorded that he was born in Scotland in 1807, and that he married Barbara Kelly in 1833. They came to America in 1839, settling near Joliet. Partner of Matteson. He was for several years in partnership with ex-Governor Matteson, as quarryman and contractor. He also was engaged in some canal contracts. He died in 1858, leaving a wife and five children, Joseph, Robert, John, Annie and Barbara. W. A. Strong, who was born in Waterloo, N. Y., in 1828, was mayor of Joliet in 1863, he served several years as alderman. He was once in the firm of Strong and Davidson, known as the Davidson quarry. He was elected president of the Joliet Gaslight company in 1865."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
SourceClick on this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next