Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Grace Episcopal Church New Lenox 1928
Grace Episcopal Church New Lenox 1928
TitleGrace Episcopal Church New Lenox 1928
CreatorAdele Fay Williams
DescriptionPrint of a drawing by Adele Fay Williams of the Grace Episcopal Church in New Lenox, Illinois. The church was founded in 1868. This church is still in service (2008) with some modifications to the building. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleGrace church of New Lenox 60 years old : institution founded in 1868 by pioneer Will county families.
Date of ArticleDecember 23, 1928
Transcript of the ArticleSUNDAY DECEMBER 23, 1928
GRACE CHURCH
OF NEW LENOX
60 YEARS OLD
Institution Founded in 1868
by Pioneer Will County
Families.
REV. LEETE PASTOR
By ADELE FAY WILLIAMS
This quaint and pretty little Grace church was started 60 years ago in the year 1868, in the little town of New Lenox, near which many of the earliest pioneers settled their household goods.
And Christmas was celebrated here, many time in the quaint fashion of the ‘60s and ‘70s. The bouffant skirts of the feminines, the dignified but rather flamboyant, tall, silk hats of the dandies of that period, and above all the fiery horse attached to the comfortable running sleigh or rather ‘cutter, ' lend themselves to picturesque treatment and were frequently seen there.
And this nice, little church still stands, a monument to the devotion of a few families and their friends who have worked for many years to keep it alive.
Officials Are Named.
Three families which were represented in the very first list of vestrymen are now represented upon the vestrymen list of today. These are the Gougar, the Jones and the Urch families.
The very first vestrymen or trustees of this parish, Grace church of New Lenox, in that far off time were: F. W. Wood, Myron Kellogg, J. P. Frasier, Thomas Jones, Ephriam Urch, Sincalir Nill, Warren R. Fellows, James Jones, C. J. Jones and William Gougar.
And the latest list included George Morris, senior warden; Legh Jones, junion warden; Charles Parsons, treasurer; and Hubert Cort, Archie Cort, George Woodcock and John Urch.
The present pastor is the Rev. Wilbur S. Leete, of Lockport, who conducts a service every Sunday, at times in the morning, and at times in the evening as arranged.
There was an organ, too, in this pretty church, and expensive enough considering. It pretended to be a pipe organ, which it was not as everyone knew, altho it made a very fine tone when the organist played, and a man pumped the air. It took two men, relieving each other, during the sevice. Mrs. Fred Wood was the first organist. Later Miss Elizabeth Gougar served as organist, and then Miss Anna Doig, who was later Mrs. G. L. Francis, officiated. Mrs. John Urch served as organist for 36 years, until her death in 1925.
Heated by Stove.
The first minister, according to the Misses Laura and Bessie Jones, who searched the vestry records yesterday, was the Rev. S. Cowell.
Two stoves were used to heat the church at first, and were used for sometime. One was in the rear and one was at the front.
It was 20 years ago that a furnace was installed, which will be displaced next fall by a new heating system. Electronic lights also were put in at the same time, and also there will be new fixtures next year. And besides all this renovation, there is new upholstery and the ceiling, too, has been brightened.
When the little church was its own, demure pioneer self, it was one of the most charming types of its period anywhere around. But the world moves and the churches must renovate their completions and color schemes with the best of them.
Village of Tracey.
On the present board of trustees Legh Jones (pronounced Lee), John Urch and Miss Nellie Gougar represent the families who were on the pioneer board.
According to the People's Abstract company the church lot went thru many hands before it settled down to its peaceful existence with Grace Church.
It was lot 8, block 5, in the village of Tracey, afterwards New Lenox, in 1834, that John T. Temple cast his eye and bought it, or received a patent for the east one-half of the south east quarter of section 16 of New Lenox township, as the records have it. In 1837 he conveyed it to Harrison Jameson, in 1839 Peter Veatch bought it; in 1847 it was sold to James R. Letts, and in 1849, a part of it was transferred to the right of way of the Rock Island railroad.
George Gaylord became the owner of the land in 1855, and in 1859 he subdivided it. In 1865 he conveyed it to Markoff Wetherbee, and in 1865 Rue Mer Niver also bought it as also the same year did J. W. Suits. And the last record is of its passing into the hands of Austin Paige, who transferred it to Grace church of New Lenox. A long life and a happy one, is the record since then.
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier1989-0-bar-afw-0029
SourceClick on this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next