Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Garage 1930
Garage 1930
TitleGarage 1930
CreatorWilliams, Adele Fay
DescriptionDrawing by Adele Fay Williams of a garage-like building in Joliet, Illinois. This building was erected in 1838 by Daniel Reed. The building was located on Bluff street. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleReminder of early Joliet
Date of ArticleApril 16, 1930
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News Sunday April 16 1930 -- "A very ancient building is this old stone structure on North Bluff street, just south of the picturesque stone steps that lead from Bluff street up the hill on Oneida street. According to the indications, this old two story stone building reaches far away into the history of Joliet, and is probably one of the earliest stone buildings on Bluff street. The very first stone building is said to be the rather imposing one at the southwest corner of Bluff and Exchange streets, now called West Jefferson street. This first building was constructed by Martin H. Demmond, an early anbob and promotor of Joliet, who occupied it as a general store about 1837. Property Was Mortgaged. And it was in 1837 that Mr. Demmond, who was the owner of all this subdivision, sold a lot to Daniel Reed, which was specified as part of a sublot one, of lot one, of Block 15, West Abstract company. Moreover, as Mr. Reed took a mortgage on the property of $2, 372.70, at the same time, according to J. B. Blackburn, it is highly likely that Mr. Reed erected this rather large building soon after, say about 1838. Charles Reed is generally regarded as the very first settler in Joliet, and his name is connected with many early developments. He built a small log cabin west of the river not far from where the National hotel now stands. He was from Indiana and was drawn here by the fine water power possibilities. At this time it is not known whether this Daniel Reed is a relative of Charles Reed or not. At any rate he was on the ground early, and it is to him that this quaint old landmark is ascribed. Erected in 1836. If it was built in 1838 it would now have reached the respectable age of 92 years. And like many nonogenerians, it has past the period of its best usefulness. Now it stands, unused, bare, and black, locked with a padlock, not a trace of its busy blacksmith fires, nor of the interesting historic fathers of Joliet who gathered there to exchange the gossip of the time. In 1848 Thomas R. Hunter bought the property, a name still remembered here. It was in 1868 that William Hadsell became the owner and held it until 1882 when it was acquired by James McRoberts. And it was in 1884 that the place, already venerable, was bought by William Callaghan, in whose family the property still remains. Became Blacksmith Shop. William Callaghan, who used the building for many years as a horseshoeing shop, and nearly all the horseshoeing apprentices of later days gained their knowledge in his shop. Mr. Callaghan married a pretty Irish lass, whose name was Miss Elizabeth Rock, and raised a fine family of five boys and two girls. One of these, the elder, Joseph, was sacrificed in France in the World war, a member of the Engineering corp. William, the father, died six years ago. This leaves Matthew, Katherine, Elizabeth, William, Edward and Ella, who live with their mother, 117 Comstock street. Young William Callaghan, who is 22 years old, told that his father and two of his brothers were a part of the homesteading rush that went west more than 45 years ago, returning later, somewhat disappointed with pioneer hardships. The family has lived in their present home for 33 years. Matthew is the only one married so far."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Buildings -- Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Garages -- Joliet (Ill.) -- History
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier1989-0-bar-afw-0019
SourceClick on this link to find more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next