Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Little Red School House
Little Red School House
TitleLittle Red School House
CreatorWilliams, Adele Fay
Date of the DrawingMay 1926
DescriptionDrawing of the Little Red School House. The School House was built in 1880. This drawing is a part of the Robert E. Sterling Collection.
Title of ArticleMark passing of little red school house : building in which early residents were educated to be auctioned.
Date of ArticleMay 9, 1926
Transcript of the ArticleWritten in pencil at bottom: "The Little Red school house E Washington St opposite [Culbertson] new [school]." From Joliet Herald-News Sunday May 9, 1926 " The little red school house is to be sold tomorrow, after a long and useful life. That its life has been in two carnations, on or near the same spot on East Washington street in what was district number 5, but is now number 86, in a manner of speaking, does not lessen the sentimental interest that clings around its frame whether it be brick or wood. Opened in 1851. The three R's went merrily on in the first little red, wooden school house, it is believed, since about 1851 when the school directors bought the first one-eighth of an acre from Jonathan and Ann Muncey for the spectacular sum of $25, and built the structure soon after. It was in 1880 that the school directors bought the remaining seven –eighths of the acre, and it is believed that this was the time little red school house number one took wings unto itself and moved to a neighboring farm to serve the more menial purpose of chicken coop, or perhaps a cow shed, and the second cosy red brick school house came into being. Descendant of Owners. It is one of the odd pranks of fate that an aged descendant of those same Munceys who once owned the entire region, including Highland park, is now panitress of the little brick school house, or has been for many years. Her name is Sarah Gregg Baker and she is now 77 years old, according to her granddaughter, Mrs. Elvira Doyle, who was one of seven brisk grandchildren of her brisk little ancestor. Her first husband was Richard Muncey, who was an engineer on the Illinois Central besides working the farm which is now Highland park. Her second husband was Joseph Baker, to whom she was married in 1898. Banker Was Pupil. Many well known Joliet people receive the beginnings of education and culture in the first little red school house, even tho it was once a pioneer and suburban neighborhood. Charles E. Wilson, banker, who lived with his parents in the woods on a spot near the auto camp location in Pilcher park, was once a seeker after learning there. So was young Miss Alice Richards, who later became Mrs. Wilson. Daughter Taught School. One of the Muncey daughters taught school there for a period, and later so did Miss Richards. John F. Wilson, a brother of the banker, who is now auditor of the Illinois Steel company of South Chicago, was then a pupil. Col. James M. Arasmith, once known in Joliet , was one of the mischievous barefoot boys there, at times. Jason L. Wilson, real estate dealer in Joliet, at present in Texas, was one of the promising pupils. And there was the Rudd family of three brothers owning a dairy farm, who learned their A-B-C's there. Charles A. Rudd now lives on Fifth avenue. Jennie Wilson McGuire, widow of Henry H. McGuire, of Henry street, once bowed her head there. All the family of James E. Shaw, best known as ‘Lub' Shaw, now of 2307 Cass street, also were pupils. Were Pioneers. Besides, there was the Daniel McCann family, who once owned a large farm, including the Hobbs farm. Lycurgus McCann is now in Daytona. Hastings Rowell and ‘Nat' Rowell, whose parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins Rowell, owned a large tract near, went to school there. Hopkins Rowell, who was born in 1810 in New Hampshire and came to Joliet in 1835, bought the gravel pit east of the city. He was first to introduce the McCormick reaper in Joliet, selling to Robert Stevens and Henry D. Higinbotham. Nathaniel, one of the five children, none of whom survive, married Miss Annie B. Strong. The Rowell farm occupied the region now taken by Elmhurst cemetery. Named for Culbertson. The Thomas Culbertson family, who owned the red mill, lived near and were also candidates for learning in the little read school house. It is for Thomas Edwin, a son of Thomas the pioneer, that the magnificent new school house, just under construction kit-a-corner from the little red school house, is to be called the Culbertson school. Both father and son have shown continuous interest in education. Other pioneers of East Washington street were the White family, the children all being sent to the little red school house. David White now lives on Iowa avenue, while Miss Lillian White lives in one of the new homes opposite the old White homestead on East Washington street. The auction of the pretty old landmark will take place on the grounds at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Physical Description36 cm. x 28.5 cm.
SourceClick this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://lewisu.edu/imcanal
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next