Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Loop District (Joliet, Illinois)
Loop District (Joliet, Illinois)
TitleLoop District (Joliet, Illinois)
CreatorWilliams, Adele Fay
Date of the DrawingOctober 23, 1927
DescriptionDrawing of the Loop District in Joliet, Illinois. This drawing is a part of the Robert E. Sterling Collection.
Title of ArticleLoop building fronts only on drab alleyways : Adele Fay Williams sketches bit of loop in light and shadow.
Date of ArticleOctober 23, 1927
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News October 23, 1927 "This is one of the beauty spots of a growing city, sure to be overlooked. To be sure it has no conventional beauty to strike the passing eye. It has no towers, flowers, trees, no colonial pillars to reach the imagination to form pictures of the past. It is just a dull, drab alleyway used mainly for utilitarian trucks, who bring commodities and carry them away again. Its habitues are the genial teamsters who drive the trucks and a medley of tattered youngsters who fight for the remains of used crates, as if it were pure gold and who argue as if they were finished hucksters. And at the end of the alley, looking south from Van Buren street, there is only an old building, a faded red brick building built before the memory of present inhabitants. Hemmed in By Alleys. This old red brick building has the peculiarity of being hemmed in on all three sides by alley ways, and with no other outlet. Within the memory of the man on the street it was the ‘Court cafe' which ran successfully for a time and then ceased operations forever. The building stands just at the rear of the Orange Grove Inn, and at the right, almost invisible in the sketch which was made at twilight just after the first lights were lit. The beauty of the place consists in tall dark masses of shadow on either side of the alley, and haphazard arrangement of lines in the fire escapes and the buildings in the background. One of the smaller peaked towers of the court house peeps over the top of the lower buildings. It is a mysterious appearing place at twilight, one can vision anything at the end of it. An old village inn perhaps, with a courtyard hidden away in the rear and mine host of the inn busy at his hospitable mission. As a matter of fact a tradition of carried hospitality has clung to this old building, older than its surroundings in appearance. Air Old Fashioned Saloon. Long, long ago in pre-prohibition days, it figured as an old fashioned saloon with a still remembered host. The locality early appeared in the records, lot 10 of subdivision of lot 6 of block 21, old town of Joliet, now Joliet. It was in 1869 that James Goodspeed sold it to Francis Goodspeed, of a family of early pioneers and capitalists. Francis Goodspeed then sold it to George Munroe and George H. Munroe, father and son of one of the fine pioneer families of Joliet. This was in 1871 and in 1881 George Munroe and wife and others disposed of it to Jerome P. Stevens, who sold it later to William A. Strong, another early capitalist. Thru the Strong estate it became the property of Mrs. Annie Strong Rowell, daughter of Mr. Strong who married ‘Nat' J. Rowell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins Rowell, Richards street, still another of the first families of Joliet. Mrs. Rowell deeded the property to H. C. Goetz in 1901, who quit claimed it to the Pabst and wife sold it to Michael Kahn in 1908, who disposed of it to Robert E. Haley in 1914, and the same year it was deeded to Emma G. Kahn. It was leased to Carl Schneider in 1917, and deeded to George J. Clare the same year. Also the same year this very busy piece of property changed hands again, passing into the hands of Meade and Alice G. Clyne. In 1921 it was again deeded to William A. Murphy, becoming again the property of Mrs. Meade Clyne, who with her husband is now in Tucson, Arizona. Without a doubt the future history of this valuable bit will be even more interesting than ever before."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Physical Description30 cm. x 23 cm.
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier2011-8-ste-afwa-0035
SourceClick this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next