Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan up Pan down Pan right Pan left Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Silver Cross Hospital (Joliet, Illinois)
Silver Cross Hospital (Joliet, Illinois)
TitleSilver Cross Hospital (Joliet, Illinois)
CreatorWilliams, Adele Fay
Date of the DrawingSeptember 16, 1926
DescriptionDrawing of Silver Cross Hospital. This drawing is a part of the Robert E. Sterling Collection.
Title of ArticleSilver Cross Hospital will have tag day : Institution will make its annual appeal for funds.
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News Sunday October 17, 1926 "Once more the picturesque Silver Cross hospital takes the interest of the public, as its annual tag day, next Saturday, looms near. But it is a fact that this institution has always gathered around it the philanthropic joy and pride of the many people who have made its development and support their chief occupation. Considering that it is only 36 years old, it has rolled up a varied and picturesque history. Ever since "Shovel Day" away back in 1892, and in reality several years earlier things have been doing in the pretty woods of "Hickory Hills". Turned First Sod Mrs. L. A. Sherwood, then president of the county union, was inducted into the office of "Most Worthy First Grand Shoveller" and turned the first sod for the beginning of a beautiful new hospital. Mr. Adelia Mack and Mrs. William Harwood each took a trowel and cast a shower of soil over their right shoulders. Then the trustees, Egbert Phelps, J. D. Paige, and Mr. Erickson made a brief addresses and Thomas Stevens followed by blowing 12 hickory trees out of the hill with dynamite as a gentle start for the excavation. This was called the grand ground breaking milestone of the history of Silver Cross hospital. But many stirring events had happened earlier. The beautiful hospital standing on a height overlooking the city, where the waving branches of trees before the windows bring suggestions of peace and cheer and hope to its many occupants owes its existence to the work of many devoted women and men. The King's Daughters Aided To The King's Daughters is given the credit of the beginning work that reached its fruition when the stately edifice, in its spacious and beautiful grounds, took shape. The Will County Union of The King's Daughters and Sons was organized in July 1890, and immediately the idea of the hospital was born. The "Watchers Circle" of The King's Daughters has the honor of having done the first work for the hospital. It was composed of young girls, not yet all in their teens, the circle having been organized by Mrs. Cornelia M. Sherwood and Mrs. William Harwood. The list of these little girls of 1890 includes many well known names. Among them are: Gertrude Akin, Minnie Allen, Kittie Beiber, Lottie Bebber, Agnes Clark, Lulu Erb, Grace Grinton, Jessie Grinton, Mary Hyde, Janie Kerr, Ella Mather, Lydia Mather, Annie Matteson, Eda Mueller, Frances McClelland, Bessie Palmer, Edna Palmer, Hattie Sprague, Winfred Stevens, Rue Winterbotham, Louise Wolf, and Martha Wolf. Made Hospital Possible In the industry of these youthful workers the cornerstone of the hospital was laid, it was said. In the ither group, there in the early ‘teen age, were: Sarah Carpenter, Mollie Mack, Kate White, Belle Clayes, Hattie Puddicombe, Jennie Cullom, Mabel Dillman, Mabel Shaw, Lorene Grinton and Jennie Thompson. You can find several of your young matronly acquaintances of today in this list. The original idea of the circles was to use the funds earned by them to maintain a room in some hospital. But at one of their enthusiastic discussion, William Grinton, who happed to be present threw a pleasantly thrilling bomb into their midst when he suggested that they unite their efforts and build a hospital of their own. He added that he would donate the land in either of his subdivisions known as "Hickory Hills" or "Sunnyside". The idea was accepted and the herculean task was begun. Miss Lorene Grinton, daughter of William Grinton, was one of the most enthusiastic and energetic workers and it was her happy suggestion that gave the institution its name Silver Cross Hospital. Idea Grows Rapidly All this beginning work was early in 1890, and the interest in the idea grew day by day. More circles were formed, to work for the common use of the community. The Watchers' Circle first modest attempt, and entertainment in Central Presbyterian church, netted $30. A lawn party a week later brought $80. A large fair, held in the old Werner hall on the site of the D'Archy building, corner Van Buren and Chicago streets, was so well handled and well patronized that it added $4, 043.72 to the hospital fund. Work then went on blithely and in April, 1891, papers of incorporation were taken out. And then came the financial panic of the early nineties. Nevertheless, their faith was builded upon a rock and the day for the cornerstone was named for May 17, 1893, under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity. And then came the unexpected helping hand, when Harlow N. Higinbotham came to the rescue with a gift of $10, 000. The dedicatory services were held October 6, 1895, with Dr. Amos W. Patten, giving the address of the day. The things those devoted women invented to turn many honest pennies for the hospital were big and many. Had "Trolley Day." For instance, they edited the "Daily News" for a day on two separate occasions all by their lonely selves and raked in all the coppers. And they had a "Trolley Day, " when fair women took the nickels on street cars all day. According to the Daily Republican of that day, July 15, 1897, the board of trustees included: Charles Pettigrew, George H. Munroe, John Keyes, Howard T. Keltie, Egbert Phelps, A. E. Clement, William Harwood, Charles Noble, G. M. Campbell, J. D. Paige, C. H. Talcott. The first officers of the board of directors were: Charles Noble, president; J. D. Paige, vice president; C. H. Talcott, secretary; Charles Pettigrew, treasurer. The hospital was opened informally early that fall because of an injured man who came to be treated. The first superintendent of the hospital was Miss M. J. Kober. Thus took form this beneficent work, with a long history of achievement hardly won, of self sacrifice and devotion, dedicated to the noblest purposes to be found in the hearts of human beings with the progress of the work, it drew help from unexpected sources. Farmers, business men, professional men, mechanics, laboring men and women of all sorts manifested in generous ways their interest in the hospital. J. A. Henry gave $1, 000, Mrs. Rachel Davis Higinbotham gave $4, 000, and $500 each was given by Mrs. Sophia Demmond, J. G. Elwood, Jennie Maria Thompson, Mrs. M. G. Demmond, Mrs. Merritt Cagwin, Mrs. Jennie Thompson, Mrs. Cornelia Miller and D. C. Mason. The Mary E. Lambert nurses' home was one of the later gifts of Mrs. John Lambert. And it was thru the generosity of John Lambert, that the approved school for nursing was installed. The very latest, most modern equipment, with all necessary adjuncts, are a part of the hospital plan. No worthy person has ever been turned away for lack of funds."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
Physical Description20 cm. x 25.5 cm.
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier2011-8-ste-afwa-0081
SourceClick this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next