Lewis University Adele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Central Presbyterian Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
Central Presbyterian Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
TitleCentral Presbyterian Church (Joliet, Illinois) 1928
CreatorAdele Fay Williams
DescriptionDrawing by Adele Fay Williams depicting the Central Presbyterian Church in Joliet, Illinois. The church was located at the southeast corner of Ottawa and Van Buren Streets. - Donated by Katherine Woodruff Barnes
Title of ArticleQuaint church once used by Presbyterians : stood at Ottawa and Van Buren streets and cost $3, 000.
Date of ArticleMay 27, 1928
Transcript of the ArticleFrom Joliet Herald-News Sunday May 27, 1928 "Quaint, picturesque and aspiring, this little frame structure seems just what an aspiring little village church should look like. And altho the First Presbyterian society was organized in the original pioneer Joliet as early as 1835, August 12, this pretty white church was not put up until 1850, when it was built at the cost of $3, 000, on the south east corner of Ottawa and Van Buren streets. The very first Presbyterian society was organized when the population of Joliet could be mentioned by name and contained pioneers who arrived in Joliet, usually by prairie schooner drawn by oxen, or by boat to Chicago, thru many perils of land and sea. Arrived in 1834. In 1834, for instance, there were famous names among the pioneers who arrived here then, some of those names are still morne by their descendants. Dr. A. W. Brown, Martin H. Demmond, George H. Woodruff, Edward Perkins, Fenner Aldrich and Charles W. Brandon, after whom Brandon's bridge was named—all of these and more arrived here in 1834. So did Daniel Clement, ancestor of the present Clements and James McKee, a well known land speculator. And in 1835 came O. W. Stillman, from Massachusetts; Robert Duncan, Detroit; Thomas Culbertson, Delaware; Hervey Lowe, S. W. Bowen, Hugh Henderson, Charles L. Wilson, Abijah Cagwin, N. N. Marsh, Francss Nickolson and George Howliston, from Scotland. And this year following came the afterwards Governor Joel E. Matteson, George Woodruff, the financier, Richard Doolittle, afterwards Judge Doolittle, father of Miss Theresa Doolittle, who was primary principal on the first floor of the old academy that stood on the spot where now stands the Marsh school, Cass street and Eastern avenue. Prentiss First Pastor. Also came F. L. Cagwin, father of Harry, LeRoy, Carrie and Bertha Cagwin; Edmund Wilcox, John Curry, Henry Fish, Edward Bush, David Richards, George W. Casseday and H. K. Stevens from Indiana. Among those pioneers who joined the young Presbyterian society were Simon Z. Haven, Stephen Hubbard, Josiah and Eliza Beaumont, Dr. Daniel Reed, Mrs. Linda Reed, Elias and Mrs. Emily Haven, Miss Eliza Prentiss and her sister, Miss Delia Butler. The Rev. J. H. Prentiss was the pastor of the new society and the Rev. J. Kirby of Handley was the moderator. Three years later, before it had been possible to build a church, Dr. Adams and a group invited the Rev. Lucius Foote, of Rockford, to come to Joliet, then called Juliet—to hold meetings. Formed Union Church. As he was not prepared to come just then, the minster sent his brother, Hiram Foote, following himself in January, 1839. However, it was a Union church that was organized for the religious needs of the little but aspiring community. For several years the First Presbyterian church and society of Juliet ceased to exist. And it was nit until 1844 that the Central Presbyterian church and society of Juliet was organized with 22 members. For a time they hired a room for worship in the "old stone block" at Jefferson and Bluff streets on the west side. Afterward they occupied the little old court house, now no more, and later the Universalist church at the corner of Clinton and Chicago streets. Addition Was Built. Six years later the money was found with which to build the structure pictured in the sketch at the corner of Van Buren and Ottawa streets. And as the church grew more prosperous, another $3, 000 was used to enlarge and rebuild it to fit its growing needs. The ministers who were its pastors at different times after its reorganization included the Rev. B. W. Dwight and Royal Reed. Mr. DeLoss was the builder of the church, and the list of members included also John Kidd, Mr. Hubbard, H. D. Jennings and A. H. Dean. Pastor 15 Years. In 1884, the Rev. James Lewis was called to take charge of the church and continued his ministrations until his death, October 28, 1899, a period of 15 years. The Rev. D. C. Milner became pastor in 1900, and under his ministration the present imposing church structure was erected. Dr. Milner resigned in May, 1904, after which the Rev. Robert Yost was called. Barbers Wed There. Dr. Hastings has been the minister of this picturesque, handsome and flourishing church among the trees on Richards street for many years. Many historic events have taken place in these different homes of the Central Presbyterian. In the little church of the corner pictured in the accompanying drawing, there was once a school for children, kept by Mrs. Grover, of historic fame, where people now living once went to school. Later, Mrs. Grover kept the "Little School" on Grover street, where is now a big store. In its later day an interesting wedding that took place there was that of William C. Barber, once mayor of Joliet, descended from an earlier mayor of Joliet, to Miss Adelia Spangler. They live with their family at 400 Western avenue."
SubjectWilliams, Adele Fay
Joliet (Ill.) -- History
TypeDrawing
FormatImage/TIFF
Identifier1989-0-bar-afw-0009
SourceClick on this link for more historical information on the Joliet area - http://www.lewisu.edu/imcanal
LanguageEnglish
Publisher (Digital)Lewis University
RightsAll rights held by Lewis University. For permission to reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use this image, please contact the Howard and Lois Adelmann Regional History Collection at Lewis University at 815-836-5665.
CollectionAdele Fay Williams Collection of Drawings and Prints (Lewis University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next