Knox College Struggle and Progress-African Americans in Knox County, Illinois (Knox College)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Allen Chapel history
Open PDF in new window | Go to PDF description

TitleAllen Chapel history
DescriptionNotes taken by Knox College Professor of Sociology J. Howell Atwood about the history of Allen Chapel, A.M.E. Church. The notes are taken from the "Church Record."
Subject (LCSH)African Methodist Episcopal Church;
Named PersonBrown, J.A.; Richardson, Susan; Henderson, Levi, Rev.; Smith, Samuel; Jacobs, Rev.; Tyler, Timothy, Rev.; Barber, Ed.; Johnson, C.A.; Huff, C.A.; Smith, Thomas; Kidd, George W.; Brown, J.J.; Richardson, B.E.; Bell, John; Washington, J.O.; Thomas, Robert, Rev.; Siddall, K.J.; Shoots, Harriet L.;
CreatorAtwood, Jesse Howell;
Time Period1930s
IdentifierJ. Howell Atwood Manuscript Collection (box 3)
CollectionStruggle and Progress-African Americans in Knox County, Illinois (Knox College)
Date Digital2012-11-19
TranscriptCopy of Allen Chapel History 1

as sketched in the "Church Record"
--courtesy J.A. Brown-secy [secretary]
"In the year 1851 there was only a
few members of our race in Gales-
burg [Galesburg] one of them being Mrs. Susan
Richardson Mrs. Richardson
opened her door and held prayer
meetings with the few negroes
living here. Mrs. Richardson
learned of the Conference being
held in Chicago Chicago. So great
was her desire for Galesburg to have
an African Methodist Episcopal
Church that she sold her only
hog to get railroad fare to the city.
She went to the conference and the
Bishop sent us our first pastor
Rev. Woodfork. This was about
1858 that the first church was
"In 1860 the present spot of
ground was purchased for four

Copy of "Allen Chapel History 2
($400) hundred dollars. And a church
just a frame building was
erected at 153 E. Tompkins Street.
The first pastor of this newly
built church was Rev. Levi
Henderson. The first trustees
were Levi Henderson, Thomas
Richardson, Samuel Smith.
"Rev. Jacobs built the second
church ready for plaster and
it burned down on Sunday
morning but he didn't give up
but built again and it was
finished. In 1910 Rev. Tyler
came and remodeled the church
as it now stands in 1932. The
remodeling cost in the neighbor-
hood of $7000. and when it was
finished the indebtedness of the
church was $4000. Then came


Copy of "Allen Chapel History) 3
the struggle to pay off that
$4000 mortgage. In 1922 Rev.
Robert Thomas came. He put
on a drive to raise the $4000.
Success came with the drive
and the mortgage was paid in
1922. Trustees at that time
were Ed. Barber, C.A. Johnson,
C.A. Huff, Thomas Smith, George
W. Kidd, J.J. Brown, B.E. Richard-
son, [Richardson] John Bell, J.O. Washington,
Rev. Robbert Thomas pastor.

K.J. Siddall pastor
Harriet L. Shoots secy [secretary]
Physical Descriptionhandwritten on three half sheets of scrap paper
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next