Illinois Wesleyan University IWU Historical Collections (Illinois Wesleyan University)
  Skip to content  collection home browse advanced search preferences my favorites help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Theodore Kemp
Theodore Kemp
TitleTheodore Kemp
DescriptionTheodore Kemp was the serving pastor of the Grace M.E. Church in Bloomington, before being elected the eighth President of IWU in 1908. Kemp is known as one of the greatest Presidents of this institution; during his administration, he:
-raised faculty salaries from $1, 000 to $2, 500,
-increased the faculty from 14 to 30,
-more than doubled the student body, and
-helped IWU achieve accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

Furthermore, the debt of $57, 000 which Kemp inherited, plus the $63, 900 more accrued later, making a total of $120, 000, was paid off and the total assets of the University were raised from $327, 000 to more than $2, 000, 000. That amount was five times more than was secured for the University in all the 58 years of previous history of IWU. Kemp also provided for the construction of a new Science Hall (a.k.a. Stevenson Hall), in 1911: $30, 000 came from the Carnegie Foundation, and the remaining $100, 000 for the building and its equipment was raised by Kemp. His term as President of IWU ended in 1922.
SubjectPeople
College Presidents
PublisherDigitized by: The Ames Library, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington Illinois, 61701
Date.Originalca. 1908
Date.Digital2007-07-15
Format.Originalphotograph
Format.Digitaljpeg
Type.OriginalImage
Type.Digitalimage
Record Group18-1/2 Presidents
RightsIllinois Wesleyan University retains the rights to this material. Permission to reproduce these images must be granted by IWU. Contact archives@titan.iwu.edu or 309-556-1535 for more information.
Digitization SpecificationsScanned using EPSON 4490 with EPSON Scan software.
Collection NameIWU Historical Collections (Illinois Wesleyan University)
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next