|Shurtleff Retrospect Yearbooks
(Southern Illinois University Edwardsville)
Shurtleff College served as the leading institution of higher education in Southwestern Illinois for more than a century. Its graduates became productive citizens of Alton, Madison County, the St. Louis region, and the wider world. Financial challenges common to small denominational colleges eventually forced the closure of Shurtleff College in the spring of 1957. By chance, its demise coincided with the establishment of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Under a lease/purchase agreement, the former Shurtleff College campus became the site of SIUE's "Alton Residence Center" and the location for the university's initial class offerings in July 1957. Many of Shurtleff's students continued their degree programs as SIUE students. Subsequent to the inauguration of the new main campus at Edwardsville in September 1965, the university opened its School of Dental Medicine on the former Shurtleff campus on September 5, 1972. So the old Shurtleff campus remains an essential part of SIUE today.
This digital collection was created by Lovejoy Library in 2011. The digital collection reflects the Library's physical holdings of the Retrospect and is comprised of yearbooks for 1911-1932, 1938-1942, and 1948-1956. It also includes a supplement featuring the graduating class of 1957. The Project Director was Stephen Kerber, who also wrote the home page text. The original materials are preserved in the Louisa H. Bowen University Archives and Special Collections of Lovejoy Library.