The Cullom-Davis Library at Bradley University holds a growing collection of art in diverse formats and media currently numbering over two hundred pieces. Ultimately, these works are the property of the University but they have been placed in the care of the Library. The collection does not circulate to individuals or to off-campus venues but individual pieces may be loaned to other areas of the campus provided there is an agreement to put them on public view. Not all works are displayed at any given time; those not on loan or on exhibition may be in storage.
The collection began in 1959 when a collector donated two paintings and has grown since then through gifts of additional artwork from alumni, faculty, students, and Friends. Most pieces date from the second half of the twentieth century but a few are older including: Geva Curko’s The Water Carrier painted in 1923; a marble bust of Abraham Lincoln by Fritz Triebel dating back to about 1880; and a portrait of Samuel Johnson by Joshua Reynolds done in 1778. Although there are some paintings by prominent contemporary artists such as Gustav Likan, Ken Hoffman, and Theo Tobiasse, the emphasis is on regional artists including some who have attracted a wider audience like sculptors Nita Sunderland and Preston Jackson.
While much is already known about some items in the collection, the information about others is incomplete. Anyone who can supply additional details is urged to call (309) 677-2822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org