Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Middlegrove UMC

Closed Church Records from Middlegrove UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Middlegrove UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Middlegrove UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Middlegrove UMC
Dates:1904-1978
Quantity:.25 cubic feet
Abstract:The transferred records include one membership book, annual conference reports, closing documents, a few Sunday school record books, and one book of minutes from the Epworth League.
Identification:2027
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The only membership book received began in 1963 and is scantily completed. Sunday school records books were kept because of the paucity of other substantive church records. There are several folders of charge conference reports; the majority of information can be found in the conference's yearly journals. There is one book of minutes from the Epworth League.


Church History

Little is known of the beginnings of the Middlegrove MEC. The earliest founding date of the church is based on the year of building of the church in 1897, which was dedicated January 1, 1898. In 1897 the church was part of the Douglas Circuit and in later years was part of Fairview and Providence Chapel. The church was declared abandoned in 1978. The church was razed after the land it was situated on reverted back to the Newcomb family.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Middlegrove, Ill.)
Fulton County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The records are unrestricted.


Separated Material

One photograph of the church is filed with the Photograph Collection. Correspondence concerning the disposal of the building at the time of closing is filed in the church's historical folder in the archives.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK