Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Adair UMC

Closed Church Records from Adair UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Adair UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Adair UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Adair UMC
Dates:1858-1985
Quantity:.5 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 1985. The records received are from the Adair UMC, the Adair EUBC and the circuits both churches were part of in their original denominations.
Identification:4221
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection combines several accessions into one collection. There is a Pilot Grove Circuit UBC minute book and one from the Adair Circuit UBC. There is Pilot Grove Mission MEC quarterly conference record, one membership from the merged church and one membership book from the Pilot Grove UBC circuit. There is also a church history scrapbook with photocopies of newspaper clipings and photocopies of photographs. Two treasurer's ledgers from Adair UBC are also part of the collection. The collection has closing docuemtns.


Church History

The Adair MEC Society was organized in 1875 with the construction of house of worship. Even though it was dedicated as the Adair MEC, the United Brethrens and Baptists were free to use the building. The United Brethrens built their own church in 1889. In 1906, a belfry was added. This church building was discontinued in 1926 when a new building was dedicated in 1927.

During the early years of the church, it was on circuits, at one time or another, with Pilot Grove, Round Grove, Greenfield, Eldregeville Buckingham and many others.

The Epworth League organized in 1900 with a name change in 1941 to Methodist Youth Fellowship. The women organized a Ladies Aid and later a WSCS.

The UBC society organized in 1888 following a revival that was held in the Methodist church building.

The members built their first house of worship the following year. The church was placed on the Pilot Grove Circuit along with Mound, Point Pleasant, Union, and Plesant Ridge. The circuit was renamed Adair.

The women organized a missionary society in 1900 and a WSWS in 1915.

The congregation built a new church covered with stucco in 1923. In 1949, the church became the Adair EUBC.

The two churches had a "yoked" field until the merger of the Methodist Church and EUBC in 1968. After the merger, the two churches merged into one congregation in 1971 and sold the EUBC building.

Adair UMC closed in 1985. The church building was razed and lot sold to an adjoining property owner.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Adair, Ill.)
McDonough County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 126A Adair UBC Treasurer's Ledger (1908-1929); 126B Treasurer's Ledger (1917-1928) and Official Board Minutes (1929-1933); 126C Adair Circuit Minutes (1903-1913); 126D Membership Register (1970-1985); 202 Pilot Grove Circuit UBC Membership Recordd (1871-1921); 203 Pilot Grove Mission MEC Quarterly Conference Minutes (1850-1893). A scrapbook/history book is shelved with the local history collection.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK