Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Keithsburg UMC

Closed Church Records from Keithsburg UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Keithsburg UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Keithsburg UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Keithsburg UMC
Dates:1950-1988
Quantity:.25 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection has three membership books, a few years of annual conference reports, unidentified photographs, minutes from the UMW, closure documents and ephemera.
Identification:4524
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The membership books have little information prior to 1950. They do have baptismal information as well as membership information. There are index cards from 1967 with membership information. There is a guest book from the 125th anniversary celebration, one folder of UMW minutes and assorted memorabilia from the Methodist Men and WSCS. The closure documents include the meeting minutes from the vote to close and information regarding the razing of the building.


Church History

Asa McMurtry is credited with being the first Methodist preacher to work in the Keithsburg area, preaching in the home of John Nevius in 1838. A Methodist class was formed in 1843 meeting in the home of B. L. Hardin and in 1850 moving to the brick schoolhouse. The class was part of the New Boston circuit.

In 1853 a church building was dedicated. The schoolhouse was remodeled and became for the parsonage in 1862. A new larger church was built in 1872 but was destroyed by fire in 1890 but rebuilt. The church bell came from the closed Presbyterian church that was across the street. In 1978 Keithsburg celebrated its 125th anniversary. By 1987, however, the congregation had dwindled and financial obligations forced the closing of the church. Efforts by local residents to purchase the church to save from destruction were unsuccessful and the building was razed in 1989. The stained glass windows were saved and the church bell went to the local civic club.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Keithsburg, Ill.)
Mercer County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 141A Membership Record (1963-1988); 141B Membership Records (1964-1985); 141C Membership Record (1950-1963). Stored separately is an oversized Methodist Men Charter certificate. In the church's historical folder in the archives are eighteen unidentified black-and-white photographs, 1950s era.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK