Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from La Prairie UMC

Closed Church Records from La Prairie UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

La Prairie UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:La Prairie UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from La Prairie UMC
Dates:1910-1984
Quantity:.25 cubic feet
Abstract:La Prairie merged with Elm Grove in 1984 and sent these records to the archives. The collection has minutes, two membership registers, a guest register and correspondence.
Identification:2005.04
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection contains minutes from the administrative/official board and the Fish Fry Committee, two membership registers, a guest register from the centennial celebration, and several letters sent from former members at the time of the centennial.


Church History

La Prairie was first a part of the Pulaski Circuit which was formed from Rushville in 1836. This circuit included all the territory west of Crooked Creek in Schuyler County; Mt. Sterling, Mounds and Versailles in Brown County and the northern part of Adams County. At one point there were 20 preaching places within the circuit. In 1867 Elm Grove and Pulaski formed a circuit and at the spring meeting in April 1868, a board of trustees was elected to start a church in La Prairie.

The trustees formed a building committee and this committee purchased land to construct a church. The church was built at a cost of $2500, paid by subscriptions. The congregation held their dedication service Nov. 1, 1868. The Ladies Aid provided money to purchase carpets, lights and seat decorations.

The circuit was changed to the La Prairie Circuit in 1874 and a parsonage was purchased. Golden was added to the La Prairie Circuit until 1890. In 1906, Pulaski was transferred to Augusta and La Prairie became a station. In 1947, the parsonage was sold and proceeds were used for church improvements.

In 1971, Golden, Elm Grove and La Prairie became part of the Augusta Larger Parish. In 1984, La Prairie merged with Elm Grove. The merged church was closed in 2015.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (La Prairie, Ill.)
Adams County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This collection is unrestricted.


Related Material

The records from the La Prairie Circuit of the Quincy District are a separate accession. The circuit included preaching points at La Prairie, Elm Grove, Golden, Pulaski, Pleasant Hill, Camp Point, Chili, and York Neck. Most of these points were located in Adams County with two located in Hancock County.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK