Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Deland UMC

Closed Church Records from Deland UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Deland UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Deland UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Deland UMC
Dates:1879-2003
Quantity:1.5 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection consists of membership registers, Official Board minutes, WSCS minutes, quarterly conference minutes, Sunday School Board minutes, photographs, various correspondence and ephemera.
Identification:4500
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

There are five Deland-Weldon Quarterly Conference records books 1879-1902 with minutes of the meetings listing stewards, local preachers and financial data. There are seven membership books 1870-2002 that have baptisms, deaths, and marriages as well as membership information. There is one folder of Temperance Union minutes, collection has two books of minutes from the WSCS, and Admin Board minutes. There are two Sunday School books with minutes of the board meetings and lists of classes and teachers. Miscellaneous items consist of scrapbooks with photographs and newspaper clippings, Epworth League items, and correspondence.


Church History

The history of the DeLand Methodist Episcopal dates back to 1874 when a small organization, composed of a few members from this village and vicinity held services in the Ashland school house. J. T. Orr and Joseph Winterbottom served as pastors. In 1875 the members worshiped met in a hall over the dry goods store and later relocated to the Christian and Protestant Methodist Union church. The Illinois Conference placed Deland on its first circuit with Weldon in 1878 and later Deland became head of the circuit.

The members built their first church building ca 1879. In 1884 money was raised to construct a parsonage. A new church building was dedicated in 1906 and was built of brick and stone with a slate roof.

Between 1888 and 1896 members organized an Epworth League, Temperance Union, and Ladies Aid.

In 1981, the congregation celebrated the 75th anniversary of the church building, soliciting written histories from former members. An educational wing was addedd in 1959.

The church closed in 2003, with the last service October 31, 2002.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Deland, Ill.)
Piatt County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 117A-117E Quarterly Conference Minutes 1879-1902; 117F and 117G Sunday School Board Minutes 1914-1925; 117H Membership Roll 1951-1965; 117I Membership Register 1922-1950; 117J and 117K WSCS Minutes 1949-1962; 117L Membership Roll 1950-2002; and 117M Membership Register 1870-1891.

There are five photographs of the church and parsonage and one photo postcard.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK