Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Danville Grace UMC

Closed Church Records from Danville Grace UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Danville Grace UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Grace UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Danville Grace UMC
Dates:1895-1980
Quantity:2 cubic feet
Abstract:The collection contains four membershp books (1895-1970), real property papers, WSCS minutes, treasurer's reports, conference reports, and a 1967 pictorial directory.
Identification:2178
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

There are four membership books, the earliest recorded entry is 1895 and one book has newspaper clippings glued onto the pages. Membership books include baptisms, deaths and marriages as well as membership data. There is a folder of letters of membership transfers, newspaper clippings of church weddings, and index cards of membership data. One folder has the treasurer's annual reports to the congregation. One folder has annual conference reports random years from 1925 to 1980. There are miscellaneous items, such as church bulletins, and correspondence regarding the sale of the church building. One WSCS notebook of minutes and one notebook has a listing of WSCS charter members included with the treasurer's ledger, and one UMW treasurer's ledger. A folder of real property documents has mortgage papers, and quit claim deeds.


Church History

In the summer of 1892, Rev. Shields from the Lincoln MEC came to Danville to preach a sermon before a small group of twenty in a small grove. He continued preaching in the open until the weather turned cold and the group moved indoors to various homes. The congregation officially organized in 1893 with ten members. Rev. Shields solicited funds and bricks to build their first permanent house of worship, dedicated in 1895.

By 1916 the congregation was large enough to require more room so the congregation added to the original building with a full basement, kitchen, art windows and a heating plant.

The church closed in 1980.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Grace UMC (Danville, Ill.)
Vermilion County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 122A Membership Roll 1895-1980; 122B Membership Roll 1895-1949; 122C Membership Book 1925-1944; 122D Official Membership Roll 1953-1980; 122E UMW Treasurer's Ledgers 1957-1977. The 1967 pictorial directory is filed in the church's historial folder..


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK