Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Canton Evangelical UMC

Closed Church Records from Canton Evangelical UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Canton Evangelical UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:
Title:Closed Church Records from Canton Evangelical UMC
Dates:1906-1922
Quantity:1.5 cubic feet
Abstract:The collections consists of two membership books, quarterly conference minutes, minutes from various organizations and boards, real property papers, charge conference reports, a 1957 16mm film of the church building process, a guest book, real property papers, and a book of memorials.
Identification:2010.27
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection has Quarterly Conference minutes, Finance Committe minutes, minutes of the official/administrative board meetings, annual conference reports, building committe minutes, two membership books, a 16mm film on remodeling construction, the guest book used at the 1958 rededication of the church and a book of church memorials. The official/administrative board minutes reveal the decisions, ministry and activities of the congregation. One folder has the stub ends of baptismal and membership certificates books, random dates from 1938-1991, not verified to be recorded in the membership registers. The final membership book used before the closing was given to Canton Wesley UMC as most members transferred there.


Church History

Forty-five people converted during a United Brethren Church revival meeting in 1870 came together for worship, first at the former Methodist Protestant Church building. Later, they met at the former Presbyterian Church building in Canton, eventually buying the building. It was located on East Elm Street. Fire later destroyed this building. At the same time in Canton, a Methodist Episcopal Church had organized.

Early in the twentieth century, Rev. Shinn began holding services in an abandoned Methodist Episcopal Church, South building. The congregation eventually purchased a lot with a building that they remodeled in 1905. The congregation engaged in a larger remodeling project between 1955 and 1957, adding an education wing.

Some women of the church formed the Happy Quilters in 1982 and through their quilts financially contributed to the church for various projects or donated to local community social organizations.

In 1968, the church was renamed Canton Evnaglical United Methodist Church following the merger of the UBC and MC.

In 1992 the church closed.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Evangelical United Methodist Church (Canton, Ill.)
Fulton County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 269A Membership Record 1906-1934; 269B Membership Record 1868-1972; 269C Quarterly Conference Minutes 1906-1914; 269D Quarterly Conference Minutes 1914-1929; 269E Quarterly Conference Minutes 1929-1945; 269F Official Board Minutes 1945-1963; Finance Committee Minutes 1954-1964


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK