Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Gays UMC

Closed Church Records from Gays UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Gays United Methodist Church





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Gays UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Gays UMC
Dates:1922-1997
Quantity:.50 linear feet
Abstract:The collection icludes minutes from the Official Board, Ladies Aid, and WSCS. There are two membership books.
Identification:4495
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection has Official Board minutes (1929-1974); Ladies Aid minutes (1931-1940); minutes of the WSCS (1947-1958); trustees records of the church remodel; and closing church papers. There are two membership books (1945-1997).


Church History

Little is known of the early days of the church. The original town's original name of Summitt was changed in 1881. The early Methodists met in the school house beginning around 1867 until they built their church in 1871, originally of wood siding. The building of the parsonage next door occurred in 1908. In 1924, the church was remodeled with brick veneer addded to the exterior and a full basement added.

Little is known of when the women organized the Ladies Aid.

The parsonage had been used as rental property for over forty years until it was razed in 1996. The church closed in 1997 and the property sold.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Gays, Ill.)
Moultrie County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted


Separated Material

Volumes: 110A Official Board Minutes (1961-1974); 110B Membership Roll (1945-1997); 110C Official Board Minutes (1922-1960); 110D Church School Register (1940-1955); 110E WSCS Minutes (1947-1958); 110F Membership Register (1945-1975); 110G Ladies Aid Minutes (1931-1940).


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK