Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Danville Evangelical UMC

Closed Church Records from Danville Evangelical UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Illinois Great Rivers Conference Closed Church

Danville Evangelical UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Evangelical UMC (Danville, Ill.)
Title:Closed Church Records from Danville Evangelical UMC
Dates:1875-1990
Quantity:2 cubic feet
Abstract:The records of the closed church include four membership books; minutes from the women's organizations, Admin/Official Board, Council on Ministries, Board of Education, and Men's Brotherhood; conference reports; photograph album; and miscellanceous items relating to the history of the church.
Identification:4536
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection has four membership registers; minutes and memorabilia from the women's groups of the UBC and UMC; quarterly conference minutes from the Bismark Mission (of which this church was a part of); quarterly conference minutes from the Danville Mission; Administrative council minutes; real property documents; a photograph album that has photos of the church and many unidentified people; a two-posted "Our Church History" album; minutes from the short-lived Men's Brotherhood group; and newspaper clippings. The church newsletters and 2 membershp directories are stored in the church's historical folder. Combined with this accession is the Quarterly Conference Record of Danville First for 1898-1906.


Church History

The church began as Danville Chapel or Danville Mission and was part of the Bismark Mission of the Upper Wabash Conference of the United Brethren Church. With a rocky beginning, the congregation, part German speaking and part English speaking, had financial difficulties with the church property continuously in foreclosure. The two groups split and the English group sold the church property in order to build their own church on the corner of Gilbert and Fairchild in Danville. The congregation became the Danville Mission in 1898, later changing its name to the First UBC when the new church building was dedicated.

In 1912 the congregation voted to enlarge the church. The Ladies Aid contributed a piano and organized a church orchestra. A parsonage was acquired during the early years and in 1927, a mortgage was taken out by the trustees to add an education wing and build a new parsonage.

In 1929 the German Fifth Avenue church closed and members transferred to First. Danville First struggled financially during the depression and the beginning of World War Two but on Dec. 31, 1945 a mortgage burning took place in the evening service. During the 1950s more improvements were made to the church and more improvements during the 1980s. When the merger of the EUBC and MC occurred in 1968, First EUBC was renamed Evangelical UMC.

In May 1989, an offer from an outside contractor to purchase the building and property was received and after considerable negotiations, the congregation closed the church on June 17, 1990.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

Evangelical United Methodist Church (Danville, Ill.)
Vermilion County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 158A WSWS Minutes (1956-1966); 158B Ladies Aid Treasurer's Ledger 1915-1930; 158C Board of Education Minutes (1951-1960); 158D-158H Official Board Minutes (1909-1952); 158I Admin Board Minutes (1952-1963); 158J-158M Membership Registers (1911-1990); 158N Quarterly Conference Reports (1905-1923).


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK