Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Granville UMC

Closed Church Records from Granville UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Granville UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Granville UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Granville UMC
Dates:1922-1982
Quantity:.5 cubic feet
Abstract:A former EUBC, Granville UMC closed in 1981 to merge with Hennepin UMC. The transferred records have two membership books, minutes from several organizations and boards, and reports.
Identification:3692
Language: The records are in Englsih.

Scope and Contents

The collection has annual conference reports, scattered years from 1925 to 1982, with the bulk of the reports 1963-1982. There are minutes from the UMW (1970-1981) that also include annual reporting. There are Admin Board minutes (1965-1976), quarterly conference minutes (1925-1927), correspondence regarding membership and the church merger.


Church History

The Evangelicals, who settled in Chicago in 1836, had their first annual session in Des Plaines in 1845. The beginning of 1848, a group of these Evangelicals settled in the Granville area on the county lines of La Salle and Putnam. The itinerants held meetings in the home of Christ Eberhardt. Granville was placed in the Peru Circuit, which included 5 counties. Later in 1858, Peru was split and the Granville Circuit was established consisting of Forid, Granville, Graymont, Otter Creek and Schoonover Point.

The first Granville church was built in 1867 about five miles from town. The Granville Circuit named changed to Tonica in 1879 and remained until 1910. In 1920, the congregation decided to build a church in town and purchased a sanctuary from the Methodists in Granville who left to join the congregation at Hennepin. This building was dedicated in 1921.

In 1946, the Evangelicals merged with the United Brethren and Granville became the Granville First EUB. Following the merger of the Methodist Church and the EUB, Granville became the Granville UMC in 1969 and was placed in the United County Parish with 4 other churches. In October 1982, the church membership adopted the proposal to close Granville and merge with Hennepin UMC. The sanctuary was sold to Calvary Baptist in 1983.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Granville, Ill.)
Putnam County, Ill.
Church registers and records

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 134A Membership Register (1946-1975); 134B Membership Register (1966-1973); 134C Admin Board Minutes (1965-1971). There is one photograph of the sanctury housed with the main photograph collection.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK