Skip to main content




MMC IGRC logo IGRC Archives (MacMurray College)



Closed Church Records from Dennison UMC

Closed Church Records from Dennison UMC

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
250 x 250 pixels
500 x 500 pixels
1000 x 1000 pixels
2000 x 2000 pixels
Full-size
Full-size archival image

Central Illinois Conference Closed Church

Dennison UMC





Overview of the Collection

Repository:IGRC Archives and Special Collections, MacMurray College, Jacksonville, IL
Creator:Dennison UMC
Title:Closed Church Records from Dennison UMC
Dates:1922-1988
Quantity:.5 cubic feet
Abstract:The church closed in 1988 and transferred early circuit books, annual conference reports and one membership book.
Identification:3888
Language: The records are in English.

Scope and Contents

The collection has a few years of annual conference reports; most of the information recorded can be found in the annual conference journals. There are two books of quarterly conference minutes from the early Dennison Circuit MECS. There is one membership book that begins in 1962 and one folder devoted to the closing of the church.


Church History

Little is known of the beginnings of Dennison, other than the church was formed by a political split in the Methodist Episcopal Church in Dennison, Wabash Township, following the Civil War. One group started the Mount Gilead MEC on the Marshall Circuit in 1879 and the congregation at Dennison became Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They worshiped at Blundell schoolhouse. The members built a church in 1887 that was used until 1959 when it was razed for their modern brick building.

In 1937, the congregation began an annual event, Homecoming Sunday, that welcomed former members and the community to worship together and have fellowship.

The members purchased an unused school building and the acres surrounding it in Dennison. They provided the building for community use as well as a place for the UMW to meet. When the church closed in 1988, the school and lot were transferred to the township. The church building was bought by a religious group. The bell from the old razed church still hangs in the brick church sign in the yard.


Index Terms

This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

United Methodist Church (Dennison, Ill.)
Clark County, Ill.
Church records and registers

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

The collection is unrestricted.


Separated Material

Volumes: 234A Membership Register (1962-1988); 234B Dennison Circuit Quarterly Conference Minutes (1932-1935); 234C Dennison Circuit Quarterly Conference Minutes (1922-1929).


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK