Browse all items in the collection
On a spring day in April, 1955 a now-unknown photographer set out by automobile with a camera. Following a route through Chicago neighborhoods including the Near West Side, Lower West Side, North Lawndale, South Lawndale and out to the suburbs of Cicero, Berwyn, Brookfield, La Grange, and Downers Grove and more, this local area road trip created a visual document of numerous Chicago and area pharmacies of the time. As the images attest, most of these were independently-owned businesses, far different from today’s landscape dominated by national chains.
This image collection is a digital version of a 35mm slide collection donated by Dr. Richard J. Anzalone, an alumnus of the College of Pharmacy, and retired Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice.
Questions about this collection? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-312-996-2726