The Edwardsville campus under construction in 1964
On May 24, 1960, SIUE Director of Student Affairs Howard V. Davis announced the appointment of students to serve as staff members on a new university yearbook and a new campus newspaper.
John Cwan, Harriet Landwehmeier and
Donna Yates working on the 1966 Muse
Previously, a student newspaper called the "ARC" had been produced at the Alton Residence Center, the former Shurtleff College facility. One issue of a prototype yearbook, The Phoenix, appeared during SIUE's first year of operation, 1957-1958. In anticipation of the completion of the new central campus, the students of the East St. Louis and the Alton residence centers had decided to establish a common yearbook and a common newspaper that would serve the Edwardsville community on a continuing basis.
The initial issue of the "Muse" yearbook, covering the 1960-1961 school year, appeared during the second week of June 1961. The "Muse" continued to be published each year between 1961 and 1971. Thus, eleven volumes appeared in all.
Donna Yates Bardon (1966 Muse editor) compiled a document describing the yearbooks. Mildred Arnold, pioneer staff member in the university's news services unit and wife of distinguished faculty member George Arnold, served as advisor to the yearbook staff from 1960 to 1968. Judith Boyle succeeded Mrs. Arnold as advisor for the 1969-1971 yearbooks.
Mrs. Mildred Arnold, Muse advisor
During the 1970-1971 school year, due to limited sales of the traditional yearbook, suggestions appeared regarding a transition to a different format for the publication. A successor "Muse" appeared as a student-managed pictorial magazine for three issues during 1971 and 1972. Then, beginning in March 1973, the student pictorial magazine adopted the title "Focus" and became affiliated with the mass communications program in the School of Fine Arts. Beginning in 1977, the SIUE Alumni Association initiated a new annual senior portrait book edited by Mildred Arnold. The senior portrait book continued in existence through 1984.
This digital collection was created by Lovejoy Library in 2010. The Project Director was Stephen Kerber, who also wrote the home page text. The original materials are preserved in the Louisa H. Bowen University Archives and Special Collections of Lovejoy Library.
Questions about this collection? Contact:1-618-650-4636
Click here to send us your comments about this collection