Browse all items in the collection
The Litchfield, Illinois Photograph Collection documents everyday life in Litchfield, Illinois circa 1901-1921. The collection depicts life in a small Midwestern town in the early 20th century. The scenes photographed include Litchfield High School athletics, theater and musical groups and performances, and various organizations such as the Art League and the Fire Department. Also documented are Litchfield family portraits, automobiles and trains, building construction, and street views of the downtown area. Buildings such as the library, post office, and various houses and churches are also included, as well as interiors of stores and businesses.
About Tennyson Studio:
Tennyson Studio in Litchfield, Illinois was established shortly after the civil war by a gallery artist named Bacon. In 1898, Mr. Bacon's associate, Alfred Tennyson, purchased the studio. After Tennyson came John Murray, Herman Hagerdorn, and William Morton. The studio was most recently called Morton Studios, after Morton purchased it in 1955. Before the studio closed in 1984, it was estimated to be one of the oldest in the country in continuous operation.
Throughout its long history, the studio has had three locations in Litchfield. The first location was the second floor of the Sherman building on State Street across from the public library. Next, it combined with their gift shop a few blocks further north on State Street, which now houses the Tri County Beauty Academy. The final location was on the frontage road of Old Route 66 across from the airport.
Questions about this collection? Contact: 1-618-453-2516 or Email the library