Browse all items in the collection
Missionären (The Missionary) was the first official news organ of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC). Founded in Chicago in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, the ECC is a multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. The Swedish-language newspaper was first published out of the basement of Old Main at North Park University in December 1894 and adopted as the official organ of the denomination at its 1895 annual meeting. Published monthly from 1894-97 and semi-monthly from 1897-1905, it was edited by North Park president David Nyvall (1894-97) and professors Axel Mellander (1897-1903) and Alfred Ahnfeldt (1903-05). Missionären includes letters from missionaries, reports on the young denomination's institutions and organizations, conference reports and minutes, short essays, sermons, photographs, illustrations, and poetry.
More information on Missionären and the early years of the ECC can be found in the Frisk Collection of Covenant Literature and the Frisk Collection of Covenant Yearbooks.
Digitization of Missionären was made possible by the Donald C. Frisk Fund, established in memory of the life and work of Donald Frisk (1911-2010). Frisk was a pastor in the ECC and professor of theology (1945-1978) and dean (1961-1967) of North Park Theological Seminary, Chicago.
The microfilms digitized in this collection are cataloged in the Covenant Archives and Historical Library, located at the F. M. Johnson Archives and Special Collections at North Park University in Chicago. The image quality of these microfilms may not result in the best text search so some keywords may be missed.
Please contact archives staff at email@example.com or (773) 244-6224 for more information, or if you wish to make an appointment to visit or research.
Questions about this collection? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-773-244-6224