Browse all items in the collection
This collection contains selected images and text from the University Archives covering the history of Northeastern Illinois University from the 1960s to the early 1980s. Included are items documenting campus construction, student life, and visits to campus by prominent public figures. These items originate from photographic prints, student published periodicals, and two monographs published by the University.
Northeastern Illinois University was originally founded in 1869 in Englewood as the Cook County Normal School. This later grew into Chicago Teachers College, located on Chicago’s South Side, and in 1896, Chicago Teachers College began operating under the control of the Chicago Board of Education. The purpose of the school was to prepare teachers for the Chicago public schools and for other schools in nearby areas. In 1955, Superintendent Benjamin Willis began making plans for a central north side campus to meet the rapidly increasing need for teachers. The site chosen was 5500 North Saint Louis Avenue, and the new campus was completed in 1960. In 1965, control was transferred from the Chicago Board of Education to the Board of Governors of State Colleges and Universities. In 1966, the Center of Inner City Studies on Chicago’s near south side in an attempt to further prepare teachers for schools in disadvantaged and minority communities. In 1967, the school’s name changed to Northeastern Illinois State College. In 1971, Northeastern Illinois State College became Northeastern Illinois University by Public Act 77-361. The object of the newly named Northeastern Illinois University was "to offer such courses of instruction as shall best serve to qualify teachers for the schools of the State; and to offer such other courses of instruction, conduct such research and offer such public services as are prescribed by the Board of Governors of State Colleges and Universities or its successor" (Illinois Revised Statutes. 1975. Chapter 144. Paragraphs 1151-1152).
Unless otherwise specified, copyright on all these items is held by Northeastern Illinois University. Content from this collection may be used freely, with attribution, for research, study and educational purposes. For permission to publish, distribute, or use content from this collection for any other purpose, please contact University Archives, Ronald Williams Library, Northeastern Illinois University, 5500 N St. Louis Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. Phone: (773) 442-4416.
Questions about this collection? Contact University Archives: 1-773-442-4416