Browse all items in the collection
The Chicago Parental School was a reform institution located near Foster and St. Louis Avenues. The goal of the school was to provide social support and education for delinquent children. From 1902 to 1966, the school operated under the control of the City of Chicago and the Board of Education. The State of Illinois assumed control of the school in 1966, and the state continued to operate the school until it was purchased by Northeastern Illinois University in 1973. The Parental School closed in 1975 due to decreased state funding, and the buildings were ultimately demolished in 1983.
Copyright on all items in the collection except the map images is held by Northeastern Illinois University. Content from this collection may be used freely, with attribution, for research, study and educational purposes. For permission to publish, distribute, or use content from this collection for any other purpose, please contact University Archives, Ronald Williams Library, Northeastern Illinois University, 5500 N St Louis Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. Phone: (773) 442-4416.
The map images are from the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD). For copyright information or permission to use the images, please contact IRAD directly: Illinois Regional Archives Depository (Illinois State Archives), Northeastern Illinois University, 5500 N St Louis Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. Phone: (773) 442-4402.
Questions about this collection? Contact University Archives: 1-773-442-4416