Browse all items in the collection
The Meadville Lombard Year Files collection was compiled from a variety of sources in the 20th century and includes documents from the school’s founding in 1844 to present. The Meadville Theological School materials that have been digitized thus far date from 1844-1879 and include the deed to an original school building, yearly academic catalogues, catalogues of officers and students, programs and sermons from graduation ceremonies, lists of school rules and regulations, and some correspondence of the Board of Trustees and faculty.
The Meadville Theological School was founded in Meadville, Pennsylvania in 1844. It was founded by Harm Jan Huidekoper, a businessman who had discovered Unitarianism and wanted to help spread its message of liberality and hope in the "west." The school eventually relocated to Chicago and became affiliated with the University of Chicago in 1926, then settling in a permanent building in the Hyde Park neighborhood in 1929. Meadville merged with Lombard College in 1930, changing the name of the institution to Meadville Lombard Theological School. The school remained in Hyde Park from 1929 until 2011, when it moved to downtown Chicago's South Loop neighborhood.
Questions about this collection? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org