Lewis University yearbooks were published from 1952 to 1983 by the students of Lewis University, Romeoville, Illinois. The yearbooks do not cover the entire history of the university. The school opened in 1932 as an all boy's institution, Holy Name Technical School, becoming the Lewis Holy Name School of Aeronautics in 1935, Lewis College of Science and Technology in 1946, and Lewis College when it became a four-year coed institution in 1950. In 1960, the Christian Brothers, a lay Catholic teaching order, assumed control of the college, and in 1973 the institution became Lewis University.
Along with most other institutions of higher learning in America, Lewis University found the custom of printing annual yearbooks dying out, and after several years of diminished effort on their production, Lewis University published its last yearbook in 1983.
Nonetheless, for the years they cover, the yearbooks serve as an invaluable resource on the history of Lewis University, as a genealogical resource on individuals who worked and attended the school, and as a place of personal research of former employees and students of Lewis where they can relive their memories.
Historians will find the Lewis yearbooks a valuable "lens" on cultural and social trends in Catholic higher education and in American society as a whole, being able to trace changes in dress, extracurricular activities, and educational interests, from the "conformist" 1950s, through the "rebellious" 1960s, to the conscientious 1970s.
The yearbook annual was originally called the Luigian, in 1955 became the Beacon, and after 1967 underwent yearly name changes—such as Reflections, Association, and Existence. There is no 1968 edition. The yearbooks for each year are digitized and available in this online collection. They are word searchable by year, and within each volume, users can click on page files located on the right for the pages they want to examine.
Questions about this collection? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-815-836-5306